20120812

Strange Material, Backstock, and other recent things of note.

Strange Material is a group show to be held August 17th from 6-9 at Moonbase in Nashville, Tennessee. My good friend Robert Grand and I curated the show and we were backed by our comrades, Company H.  We all collaborated on jurying the show and it is fitting because all the work submitted had to have been made using some kind of collaborative process. We ended up receiving many works made in really interesting ways. Some reached back to collaborate with someone from the past through a tangible relic - a scrapbook. Others shared skills and techniques to make something neither could have made on their own. You can find a lot more information here. Robert and I are working on finishing up Fulcrum issue #2 and an exhibition catalogue as well as tying up lose ends for next week. It is getting close.

Last night I had the privilege of being a part of a one night show at Ziehersmith's pop up gallery in Nashville, Breadbox. A good friend (and fellow Co. H member) Ann-Catherine curated a small show in the back of the Ziehersmith gallery of about 14 works by 14 artists, called Backstock. It was a great opening, and closing night. I showed a painting that I made last winter called Hearth, a part of the project I did for Terry's class, Mourning the Loss of. It is based on a story he told about these two blue birds that died sealed up inside a chimney. He brought them to class and asked us to make something that was really specific to these two birds. The painting is just of a Hearth, made from a photograph of the inside of a chimney. It is closely cropped and mostly dark blue greens. Someone said it looked like a ghost and I said, "It is!"

I just got back from California, taking my good friend Courtney to graduate school at San Francisco Art Institute. It was a magnificent adventure. I saw so much that I couldn't really keep up my drawing journal the whole time. I will have to go back and let some things sink in more.

No comments:

Post a Comment