20120827

First Day

Tonight I had my first seminar 2 class, it meets every Monday and Wednesday nights until December 12th. I'll be using this blog in accordance with the class updating about regular stuff but also posting responses to the readings we are going to be tackling this semester.


As I am writing this I realized that I left my syllabus at school so unfortunately I can't quote from it like I wanted to.

It is really exciting though, when I read that the work days are called making days I felt really good. The language of a course sets you up to operate, think, and work in certain ways. In the last painting class I had I only wanted to make little sculptures, but then the next semester in seminar 1,  I kept making paintings. But this class goes further. There is no emphasis on clock time, deadlines, finalized critiques, or any kind of finished ending. Instead the purpose is to cultivate a permeating and ever present artistic practice, one that is not limited to specific spaces, dates, or times but rather exists in and around daily life culminating in moments of actual physical creation but not limited to only those moments. I feel like all of this is going to help to counter-act the sometimes seemingly tight corner that you sometimes learn yourself into while going to art college.

I'm also taking ( and will be posting about) experimental video, art theory,  and a sculpture class.



No comments:

Post a Comment